Thursday, September 3, 2009

Insert creative title here

All right. As many of you have noticed I have been ever slacking on the blog posts. Moving on.

I sit here in Broussard, LA typing away in the office environment that has become all too familiar. Time to backtrack to the future.

I left my sister Rebecca's place in Austin heading east. I decided to go east based on a call I made to Jim Whitehead with Sea ROV. Anyways not being much for interviews on the phone I told him I would meet him in person. So i went. Having stayed at my sisters posh city apartment for a week I had gone soft. bigtime. Anyways I rode for a while, it was muy late by now, and stopped at a gas station near Houston. Two guys in a broke cadillac with spinners were off to the side of the station. One approached me. I counterapproached. We both gave salutations. Then he asked me for money. As I said earlier, after living in an apartment for a week I had gone soft but worse, I had lost my edgy homeless look. I couldn't beleive he asked me for money. He told me their story about how they were coming from working offshore, and their alternator quit on them and first their lights went out while driving... then the car shut down. I felt some compassion for them because this exact scenario happened to me in dangerous rural south africa. So I did a noble deed and gave them all of the money in my wallet. Two crinkly George Washingtons. But more importantly I offered them some of my sandwhich. This was far more a gesture of my good faith. Not only could it feed a family of 12 if need be, it was made with love. They turned down the loaf of bread laden with a whole chicken, and various other delicouties. Getting sidetracked sorry.
I was now back on the road. I rode until I was overcome with the sleepyness. Time to find a place to camp. Out of the rythm of finding abandoned roads it took me a bit longer than normal to find my hideout for the night. Soon though I cam across an overgrown strip of something between the frontage road and I-10. Got my bike hidden and covered then made camp and laid down to try and sleep. No such luck. Bugs in the south are impressive to say the least. It took them about 10 minutes to realize some poor sap was actually attempting to sleep on their turf. My sleeping bag must have been the wrong color because it was an all out gang war. They came out me with everything they had until... my friend 98.11% deet showed. Game over. They had nothing on me now. I won. Still couldnt sleep though, too damn hot. Got up early in the morning. Packed my stuff and started my bike to warm it up. Two passerbys jumped a bit when they heard the purr of my bike coming from some bushes. I rode out, they saw the tattered american flag flying in the breeze and immediately ran home to lock up their daughters. probably.
Back on the road get to Lafayette. I pull in there looking for a library so i can kill some time before i told Jim I would meet him. First tho I find a table and grab the remaining half of my delicioso sandwhich. Within a few minutes somebody eyes my bike and starts a conversation with me about it. He s very into the bike... until he sees my sandwhich! Inquiring where i bought such a beauty I reveal the sad truth that no deli could create something this perfect. Blah Blah blah, walk into the library, grab the razors edge and sit down to read it. Because I always read before I go to bed, it naturally puts me to sleep (one of the reasons I never studied during college). So in ten minutes I was asleep. Luckily the librarian dictator woke me up. That was close I almost got some rest. Another few minutes and I am out again (probably helped I had half a chicken in my belly). Awoke to the stern finger in my face of the same guy. "One more time and you're out of here!" Great way to be woken. Unfortunately I didnt have the wherewithall to draw pupils on my eyelids so i forced myself to stay awake.
But I did strategically move seats to a more stealth area of the library. Relaxing in the chair not bothering to read two kids approached me. (Must have been the 'stache). One told me if he had all the money in the world he would buy the library... and a candystore. Stayed there for a bit becuase the afternoon thunderstoom had just hit. Time passed. Kids left and the storm lightened. On to meet Jim.
Got there. Walked into the building. Nobody in the officed so I opened a door that led to the back. Found four guys standing around a bunch of foreign machinery. Asked for Jim. Talked to him for a bit. He looked over my resume, asked some questions, yada yada yada, now I have a job. He told me that we'd be going offshore in a few weeks and I could contact him then. Cool. Instead of leaving then I walked back outside and met the other guys and figured out exactly what and ROV is (since i would be flying it.) It's a robot that can go 2000 meters deep and perform a bunch of tasks like cutting, grabbing, loitering, laundering, murder... the list goes on. After sittin for a bit, shooting the proverbial shit, Jim came back out and asked if I wanted to see what it was all about. Said yes. Told me they were slated to leave in a couple days and I could head out for a week or so. Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Not even being in another country will make me miss this. FIRST

    ReplyDelete