Friday, July 31, 2009

Full steam ahead, here we come east coast!!

To continue where we left off, we loaded up the bike at carl's house then stopped by her work for one last photo and to drop off some keys. The other day that we hung out with the girl from rehab we also rode along with this Australian dude who recomeded that we take highway 20 near the Canadian border. As soon as we hopped onto the freeway north we got completely bogged down with traffic and shortly after saw a sign say highway 2 next exit. Close enough. It was an awsome right as soon as we got off the beaten path up to stevens pass and then following the Columbian river until we were able to pull off to the side of road and go for a swim. Upon further inspection there were campfire rings benches, boulder to climb, and fish to catch. We ended up stowing the bikes behind a big rock and stayed for night (hit a rock on the way in, dumped my bike for the third time going 3 mph, dang). blah blah.
On the road again in the morning with our sights set on spokane, which we later learned was actually spokomptan. Gross, nothing there and still in washington. We jumped the border into Idaho and pulled into Cour' da lane. Beautiful place, quiet little college town right on a huge lake with tons of jumping rocks and rope swings. We did what any respectable transient would do, shot gunned beers in the parking lot and looked for our next meals. Once we found a safeway I opted to buy steele reserve and while sitting at the front of the store waiting for Luke I made a new friend. He was a dirty little mexican man with three teeth and a great smile. He asked me how I was doing, and to try and keep him away I just murmured incoherent words. In bum speech that apparently ment "great, how bout you sit down next to me". Which he did and gave me a wonderful bum hug. He then went on to offer me cigerattes and also and invitation to go inside and chug mikes hard lemonades in the booze isle. Tempting... but I said I'd watch his bike for him. Luckily Luke came out right then and we sat back to watch the entertainment. As we sat on the porch of an abandoned house and drank our steele's and ate chicken sandwiches I thought back to my short interaction earlier. It all made perfect sense, the bum, seeing one of his own and a 12 pack was just trying to make me feel at home, and with that experience I knew we had graduated from bum college. The night went on with some live music and strip clubs and when all the steele's were gone and we realized that Luke had left his tab open at the first bar. The band had just ended and the whole crowd was getting ready to go skinny dippin in the lake. On my walk down I ran into one of the singers of the band a big ole gal with dreadlocks who had a thing for tall skinny guys. Being polite and a little scared I walked to the lake with her and when she whispers to me that she want to take me down into the grass I started to scream Lukes names. Out of thin air he appears with a wheel barrow, I jumped in and he rolls me to safety. I jumped out of that thing at the bottom and ran into the hills where I lost a croc and had to leave it behind. Luke's heroics though didn't go unnoticed and for that chick one dude was as good as another. Long story short Luke ran into the hills. After waiting for a few minutes I decided that the coast was clear and started to shimmy down back towards the trail. I ended up stepping on some guy camping up there and after a short apology found a tree and waited behind it. No sooner had I gotten there that Luke stumbles out of the bushes next to me and we agreed that maybe skinny dippin wasn't on the recipe tonight. We set up camp on the hillside and as a tip from the toll booth operated got out of the parking lot at 7 and found our holiday inn. We've made it to Craigmont and that adventure will have to wait till next time.

2 comments: