Thursday, August 13, 2009

Time for an oil change.

Well, with the monster 600 mile day I had now rolled over 5000 miles for the trip and am due for an oil change. At breakfast that morning I walked in and said hi to the front desk as i always do. started a broing conversation about the weather. blah blah blah. im in. Well as im enjoying my third plate of omellettes reading the paper, the lovely Tammy from the front desk comes into the breakfast lounge. Seeing my phone charging she gives me a funny smile. I knew this day would come. I get ready to say something awkward, but then she says, "Where in the heck are you from?" I tell her my story of coming from sacramento. and she says "Oh my, I've never travelled around the world before..." I laughed a little and started tellin her some stories she wouldnt soon forget. She ran off for a minute and came back with her business card making me promise that I would email her some more stories and pictures. I almost told her to follow this lame blog, but I quickly remembered that could compromise my breakfast for the rest of the trip. "For you Tammy, the world." I replied and pocketed the card.
I finished the breakfast and went to the computer to figure out how to get to Lake Village, Ar where i was headed that day to meet Forrest. Computer's down. Bummer. I knew it was south east of where I was. Being as stubborn as any mustached man is I started taking roads south for a while, then east for a while until I had no idea where I was. Came to the arkansas river. Took a nap and a swim and headed south, then east, then south. This got me all the way to the east of the mississippi river through beautiful winding roads of arkansas. Much better than interstates. Only problem was I wanted to be on the opposite side of the river. So i folled highways south, then west, until I found one that would cross... no. it dead ended after so many miles at a dam. Now, I though about driving around the open chain link fence, but decided that the chain link on the other side would probably be locked. Had to backtrack a bit, went south, then west and got across. Stopped to get gas in a town i knew was close to lake village. I broke down and looked at the us map to see that i only had to follow 65 south for 90 miles and I would be there. As soon as I left the gas station, not 50 feet from it, I see a sign for Lake village. Figures.
Got to Forrests. Kate and the dog Mason greeted me at the door. I showered and when Forrest got back a couple of us went to dinner at his girlfriend julia's house a few twns over. Everyone I met that night is doing Teach For America. Pretty cool experience from what they say. On the way back from dinner forrests muffler decided to jump ship, not without sending sparks flying on the freeway long enough for the car nest to us to point yell and point. Forrest said without blinking, "There goes the muffler." At the time I was blown away that forrest could recognize the individual sounds parts of his car make as they jettison from it at 60 mph. Now I understand.

Slept there, got up this morning, ate the rest of forrests mini wheats and hit the road. Made good time to New Orleans where I am sitting un poquito homeless today. I parked my bike in the valet of the Marriott. Hopefully it's ok. I am sitting in an abandoned hostel right now, where I have yet to see anyone that runs it. So naturally I hit the computer and blog. Now, onto the town.

2 comments: